All accepted TeachingChile participants will be required to provide the following at their expense:
- Round-trip air transportation from country of origin to Chile.
- All transportation costs while in Chile.
- Proof of medical insurance, if not covered by the teaching institution.
- All housing, food and other incidental expenses.
- Cost of a visa, if applicable.
- English Teacher for Children (K-12): 30 hours per week classroom time. Class size will likely be 35-38 students. Teachers will co-teach with a local Chilean teacher. Co-teachers will participate fully as teachers in the school, assume their fare share of assignments, and all other responsibilities that other school staff are expected to accept. Course curriculum is provided.
- English Teacher for University: 18-20 hours per week minimum. Class size is held to 18 students maximum. Teachers will have sole responsibility for the class. Teaching responsibilities will include preparing lessons and classroom activities, and creativity in language instruction. Course curriculum is provided.
- English Teacher for Adult-Learner Language Institutes: 18-20 hours per week minimum, more can be earned with more hours of classroom time. Class size is typically 5-12 students per class. Teachers have sole responsibility for the class. Options are available to teach in the institute’s facilities or to teach at a particular business site location. Teachers may also have some classes to teach university age and children as well. Course curriculum is provided.
Skills & Experience
The following table summarizes the various skills and experience desired for the various positions (subject to change at any time):
|Requirements||English Co-Teacher(Children K-12)||EnglishTeacher(Adult Learners)||EnglishTeacher(University)|
|TEFL / TESOL certification(more info)||Required upon arrival(more info)||Required upon arrival(more info)||Required upon arrival(more info)|
|Native Speaker of English||Required||Required||Required|
|Prior teaching experience||Desired||Not Required||Not Required|
|Knowledge of Spanish||Desired||Helpful||Sometimes desired|
|Experience living, studying, or traveling abroad||Desired||Not Required||Desired|
|Minimum age||21 years||21 years||21 years|
|Adaptability to living in foreign country||Required||Required||Required|
|Minimum hours in classroom||30||approx 20||approx 20|
|University degree completed prior to arrival||Required||Required||Required|